Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pie Crust Promises

Today was a cooking day! I've been craving apples lately, and today I stumbled upon a new pie crust recipe (thanks to some unknowing, yet nice looking lady in North Carolina and her foodie blog) that I decided I needed to try. So I assembled the crust--I have to say, I was a little skeptical before the dough was baked; it was much crumblier than my dough usually is--then went to the store to see what kind of apples I could get my hands on.





This is what I came home with. Ok, so I got a little carried away for one pie, but they all sounded so good. So into the pie went 5 Braeburns, 2 Granny Smiths, 1 Honeycrisp, 1 Golden Delicious, and 1 Fuji. I think Braeburns have the best flavor for pies, Granny Smiths add a tartness, Golden Delicious retain their texture the best, and the others added to the flavor profile.




Over the apple/sugar/cornstarch/cinnamon (I just spelled cinnamon right on the first try)/salt mixture, I poured two tablespoons of apple juice concentrate and cut up about 1 tablespoon of butter.




My faithful friends waited for me to drop something.





Then into the oven. Jesse often comes home to find me in this position in front of the oven:
(pie belly ^)
The new crust was pretty dang good, I have to say. A little richer than I'm used to, but very flavorful. Nice and flaky. Who doesn't like butter, right? If anyone's interested in the actual recipe, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love you for using the term "flavor profile." Let's be nerdie food friends. Oh wait.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for checking in--we love hearing from you.