Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Just Now


This is such a weird time in our lives. OK, here it is--my first spilling post. Prepare for a lot of random thoughts (not all positive) coming your way!


Jesse's been appyling to grad school. He was considering joining the airforce, but we really didn't feel right about it. A lot of the "perks" were very money- and insurance-related, and that's just not what we wanted to base our life direction on. I've been wondering if I should go back to school as well. The trouble is, I would just be killing time and racking up debt.

Jesse's going to be a wonderful teacher! I'm so glad we're going the right direction, but from this end of the road, it seems like such a long ways to go. 5-7 more years of being poor, baby-less students. But in the end, I know a lot of lives will be touched by Jesse's gift for teaching and connecting with young people.


(These blogs sometimes feel so selfish. But anyway, back to me...) This leaves me feeling a little lost. At my interview with Maurices last week, they asked me about my ultimate career goals. Of course, I gave the usual response of, "well, I'd love to write children's books, but that will, of course, be a side hobby, and I know I'll be here for at least a year and..." on and on. While the whole time, I was screaming inside my head, "Of course I don't want a career! I want to be a mom!" So what do I do for the next 5-7 years? Or longer, who knows? When I stop and think, I know what the answer should be. I should do those things I talk about. Write a children's book, or something. But it's hard to take pleasure in the things you're using to replace your real loves. Anway, I did get that job at Maurices, and who doesn't love 40% discounts on clothes? They seem like very nice people, too, so that's hopeful.


I think I'd feel much sunnier about things if we had some good friends here in good ol' Spokane. Jesse's family is wonderful, and we live near some great extended family, also. Our ward is full of very active, helpful people. We're very blessed right now, and we feel very taken care of. However, we're having a hard time connecting with people right now. We don't know any couples without kids. Our ward is made up of very nice, very well-off, mature families. Just like in our last three wards, we are the only childless couple. Jesse thinks (and is right, by the way) that I'm projecting, but sometimes I feel like we're not seen as a legitimate family. At least when we were in Rexburg, we could hang out with our amazing single friends and hide from all the couples with little babies.


Oh well, there are good days and bad days, right? And tomorrow will be a good day. I'll start work, and that'll give me a sense of accomplishment. For now, I guess I'm glad not many people know about this blog yet! As it is, it's probably a little too personal, and not very exciting.


To close on a positive note (if I'm gonna be personal), I want to share a little piece of my testimony. I had a really down month. I almost felt foggy all the time, and very confused about why we're here. And although I continued going to the temple, reading my scriptures, and teaching my little Beehive girls, I felt like I wasn't being comforted. I finally had a mini-breakdown (ok, maxi), and only after did I realize how wrong I'd been. I'd allowed my emotions complete control and had consequently given up some of my agency. Serious mists of darkness! But as soon as I realized this, I knew that keeping the commandments had protected me and eventually brought me around. I love this Gospel, and I know it brings joy and protection to our lives!


Here's to good days to come.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you're spilling out how you feel! Doesn't feel better (at least a little bit) to be honest with the world about how you're experiences are making you feel? I think I spent way too long pretending I was okay when I really wasn't. Our situation is definitely a "sorrow that the eye can't see." And being open and honest helps others understand a little better about infertility...a subject most people have no comprehension of unless they've been through it. Let it out, girlfriend!
    Congrats on the new job! I hope it goes well for you! And when were you guys in Rexburg?! We left April '07...I still miss it. ~sigh~ Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does feel good! I know everyone has trials, and many are just as hard (if not much harder) than infertility, but I also think most people aren't aware of the feelings of loss that come with it. And how can they be? I know I wasn't prepared. Hey, don't you think they could come up with a better term than infertile? It makes me feel like a dried up dirt clod...

    Jesse and I were in Rexburg from Jan of 06 (05 for Jess) through last December. And we miss it a lot! Wait a minute, did you guys get your dachshund there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, we got Hershey in California when we worked there for a summer before our last year in Rexburg. We had a hard time finding housing, but somebody clued us in to the fact that Cougar Court would take pets if you would ask them. Thank goodness, too! I can't do without my "weenie girl" as I like to call her. :) Where did y'all live?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We lived in a little basement across the street from Mill Hollow, towards Smith park, and then at Regal Court apts by Porter Park.

    Aren't they funny dogs? Molly's been a life-saver! By the way, I might have been blog-stalking you :) and I saw the piture of Hershey with her Bobo. I laughed so hard, because Bobo is Molly's absolute favorite toy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny! Bobo's are awesome. Too bad Hershey shreds them up in about 30 minutes, or we'd buy her one more often. Silly dogs. Oh, and blog-stalk all you want! I totally am a blog stalker...Is that not normal? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for checking in--we love hearing from you.