Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

Shari.com: Carnival Splendor: The Food

Shari.com: Carnival Splendor: The Food:

"One event that we missed the first day (went to see the Newlywed Game-style show - hilarious), caught and loved the second day, and forewent the last day (being lazy and not wanting to mar our memories) was Tea Time.

On Carnival Splendor, Tea Time is held on the upper level of the Golden Pearl dining room, near the large aft windows looking over our wake, by the grand piano. On some ships it is held in the library, but I have to tell you, the Splendor's 'Alexandria' library (they wish) is a pitiful little room compared to the spacious, windowed 'Mark Twain' library on Elation. (Splendor's library overlooks a lifeboat. Nice.) We got one of the few tables for two (okay, so we're obsessive, but there are worse hobbies) and I talked Mike into taking some tea as a prop. We both chose something orange; I'll have to find the wrapper. (It's a scrapbookable!)
Then the trolley came around and, oh, how I will always regret not throwing myself bodily upon the thing. But no, we were dainty, taking a thinly pressed cucumber sandwich and a couple of bite-size scones each.
Again with the incredible cucumber moments! Even Mike has since wondered aloud how we might make such little sandwiches on our own.
But the scones. Oh. my.


'This is a scone,' said Mike. 'None of that big triangle business that you get here.' And he was right. I've only been to England once, only had scones there once, but this was a scone. Full of real cream and so moist... and I don't really see how I'm supposed to carry on, maybe never having such a thing again, and yet I bravely do. Although sometimes, around three p.m., I have to have a bit of a lie-down so I can weep quietly until the loss passes."

1 comment:

  1. Hello I love you! I don't know why I didn't know about this blog before, but I am now a dutiful reader of it. And I ADORE that lady's post! Brilliant!

    And I want a scone soooo badly right now....

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for checking in--we love hearing from you.