Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

Ode to French Pastries and Sad Story










Here I sit, a hungry, broken woman. I was image-searching French pastries. Because that's what I do. And Tara (my little sister-in-law) and I decided we absolutely could not spend one more moment without holding one of these buttery, flaky, buttery, crispy, buttery creations in our hot little hands. We hopped in the car, and headed for this great little bakery nearby called Le Petit Chat. I'd been there once before, right as they opened, and the croissant I tasted there was unlike anything I've ever eated. I meant to type eaten, but eated better reflects the childish delight this thing evoked. So we get there, and it's 4:00 pm, and of course they have nothing left. So Tara says "I know this great bakery!" (Never trust a fourteen-year-old who salts her Ramen. Just saying.) So off we go to Rocket Bakery. $7 later, Tara is mindlessly gnawing on her lump of wheat dough smeared with white icing they call a danish, and I have purchased 2 dusty scones--items which instead of the warm, romantic streets of Paris for which I long, call to mind Washington state strip malls and jerky. How sad. Oh well, I have my dreams to keep me going. That and Google image search.
Next item on self-improvement agenda: learn how to produce homemade croissants en masse...





6 comments:

  1. Those pictures, oh, those pictures. Homina homina homina.

    Boooooo, teenage ignorance. HOORAYYY Google!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Hey you, how did your registration go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I signed up for 17 credits, just in case. I have an appt. with Bro Clifford today to see if I can alter my minor reqs.

    Kathleen, I'd so love to go with you. Part of me feels like sharing that experience with you guys would be worth any sacrifices necessary to make it happen. But here's the dilemma. If I apply now, my GPA will only be 2.7, which might disqualify me. If I wait till the end of winter, my GPA will be up (new grades, plus I'll be able to get an old semeseter expunged). But I don't want to take 17 credits on the POSSIBILITY of going through with this crazy, crazy plan.

    Besides which, I have no idea how I'd earn the airfare/housing money in time. Especially if I took 17 credits next winter and summer, meaning I'd only be able to work 10 hours per week TOPS.

    So... how bout THIS. You and Jess wait just one more teensy weensy year to go, and then I'll DEFINITELY FOR CERTAIN ABSOLUTELY come too?!!?!? Eh? Eh???? ;P

    Back to the world of reality... I say all this without even having prayed about it. So, of course, a final decision is still pending.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, I got into the program only having turned in my application form and my writing sample. They don't even have my transcripts yet. So, as far as grades go, that's something to think about. The school also takes good ol' Stafford loans, and offers scholarships in music (to any major), as well as 5,000 pound overseas and departmental scholarships. There are also 5,000 pound Paris program scholarships. Anyway, Just some food for thought.

    And by the way, I know this is a long shot, and I totally understand that I might be being a little unrealistic... WOOT for curry! We got take-out from a Thai place last night, and it was ok...just not the same. Jesse and I sat there eating quietly and imagining we were in Original/Teton Thai. Why is it so good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, my offer is conditional. I'm still a little afraid they'll get my transcripts, laugh, and toss them in the bin.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for checking in--we love hearing from you.