Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cruisin' Together...


We leave for our cruise in 5 days! I'm very excited. VERY excited!!! Mostly for food and sun, but also to see the whole fam damily. Also--get this--I don't have to cook or clean a single thing this Thanksgiving.

But I'm also excited to come home and be all cozy and cold again. We had just a few flurries of snow, and now I'm in the mood. For snow. Jesse and Neil are downstairs doing the dishes and Bing Crosby's singing Silent Night. Little wiener dog sleeping on my lap. It's a great ending to a Sunday.

I can't wait for Christmas. I'm sad that I won't be able to see my family like we had planned (our work schedules are keeping us here for Christmas), but the more I think about it, our Christmas alone might be pretty nice. This will be our first Christmas we don't have to drive to! Doesn't that sound peaceful? We have a great sledding hill here, and we'll have yummy food and open presents together in the morning and listen to Julie Andrews and Harry Connick Jr and run-on sentences be darned! Anybody got any favorite Christmas albums? Besides Mannheim Steamroller (Annie and Sav)? And I'll make cookies. Ooh, and there's this amazing looking pumpkin flan (ok, it looks more like caremel pumpkin creme brulee) in the new Martha Stewart magazine that I think I need to try. And this just might be the season wherein I master the freezing process for apple pie, and that's what our friends and family will get instead of cookies. Yes, I think so.

A friend recently reminded Jesse and me to keep our hopes up, something we have a lot of practice in not doing. But if you guard against the bad, how can you celebrate the good, right? I don't know, Christmas seems sometimes to be a sweet, wonderful day, with just a twinge of a disappointing finish for some reason. But this year, I'm going to really look forward to it. That may mean a little extra sadness, but my Christmas season's going to be long, caloric, and childlike/ish this year. Here's to getting our hopes up!

Anyway, I hope everyone's feeling snug as bug tonight. Good luck with your hooligans this week, Mom.

2 comments:

  1. Hooligans is right! I shall hooligate with the best of them and report back to you.

    We'll miss seeing you tomorrow and especially at Christmas, but I'm so glad you're having a great time right now!

    It's really relaxing to just have an intimate no-rush Christmas at home with immediate family... The Christmas mornings John and I spend together with the animals, listening to music and watching Christmas movies are my favorites. You don't have to be proper or overly dressy. Just warm and cuddly and appreciative.

    As far as Christmas albums, I still love (obviously notwistanding Julie Andrews) The Kinston Trio, John Denver and The Muppets, and the Fab Four Christmas CDs (yeah, yeah, I know...)

    But my VERY favorite thing to listen to and watch over and over is Bing Crosby and David Bowie's "Little Drummer Boy/ Peace on Earth" duet. John and I listen to or watch the video on repeat for a long, long time every Christmas.

    I'll try to email you my newer favorite kind-of Christmassy song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. I really should start proofreading these comments before I post them...

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for checking in--we love hearing from you.