Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Power Tools and Jam: 26 Things to Master While 26

So my friends Carrie and Liz like to make new goals every birthday. I'm a little late on this, but here are my 26 things to do while I'm 26 (the pink ones are done, the blue are in progress):

1. Learn to can/make jam
2. Make a table/learn how to use power tools!
3. Make a wreath
4. Get published, even if it's in a teeny tiny magazine
5. Become a really good visiting teacher
6. Go camping. This seems silly--especially for Jesse and me, who love camping--but we've never been camping together.
7. Run 5 miles without stopping. I'm getting close. Or rather, I got close once...
8. Learn to hem pants
9. Go to the temple by myself
10. Sew something I can actually wear
11. Unpack all our stuff that's been in storage for 2 years
12. Surprise Jesse. With anything. I've never been sneaky enough to do this
13. Make a chocolate souffle
14. Experiment with "raw food"
15. Make a blog book of our England adventures
16. Start a family
17. Build something out of pallets
18. Make my bed everyday
19. Fly a kite
20. Visit a new state
21. Have our own Christmas tree
22. Join a Zumba class (I spy on this class in the gym and laugh at the old guy who shakes his booty and the girls who get really into the moves, but it's only because I'm jealous...)
23. Make some kind of artwork that I actually want to put in my house (painting, photograph, etc.)
24. Throw a croquet party
25. Sing in a community choir
26. Read at least 10 novels for fun (sounds strange for a girl with an English degree, but I've completely gotten out of the habit in the last few years).

Here are some of my finished goals:

 Raw food's cool and stuff, and I found a few recipes I really really like (like chocolate frosting made with avacado!), but I love to cook. And that involves some heat.
 This wreath is a first attempt, and yeah, it turns all funky-parallelagram on me and isn't sturdy, but I like it.
 Jesse and I made this table. We picked out the wood (some of which was rescued from the sideyard) and built it from the ground up. I love it. To find the plans, visit ana-white.com. She posts tons of free plans and works with lots of salvaged wood,. I was shocked at how cheap it can be to have nice furniture, provided you're willing to invest the time. This is the "Tryde Side Table" plan.  Our ambitious plans include making a matching coffee table, building Ana's "Farmhouse Dining Table" and the "Farmhouse Bed".

3 comments:

  1. The raw food stuff is interesting. However I think Alton Brown made a point about raw food once on good eats. He stated that to absorb nutrients from food, our bodies need to break down the cell structure of what we are eating. Our bodies cannot readily do that with many foods. So yes, by cooking you loose a small portion of those nutrients. However; cooking breaks food down so our bodies can get those nutrients out of it. So in some cases better nutrition is actually had by cooking.

    Cool table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! These are such awesome goals. I feel like I would really love cooking if I had more of an idea of what I was doing. The more I learn to cook, the more I enjoy it. And I'm trying to make the Chapman home more nutritious and healthy and all that, so I'm digging the raw foods thang. I sure do love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, what the heck is that tools-for-english thing?? Hahahahaha...

    The table is beautiful. And the photo of you is most very excellent.

    Verification word: nophaubo.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for checking in--we love hearing from you.