Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Happiness is...


Christmas cookies. Jesse and I have yet to have a Christmas at home. In years past, we have finished busy semesters full of papers, plays, and puppies (and one especially stressful year, pneumonia), hopped in the car, and driven off to be with family. Consequently, I have never had the time to do some serious holiday baking. After dinner last night, everyone was either upstairs or down, the dogs were asleep, the fireplace was flickering, and the kitchen was clean. A perfect opportunity. So I turned on a little "Christmas with the Crooners," washed my hands, and went to work. My Grandma Peggy recently gave me some of our family's recipe classics. So I zenned out and whipped up some Nutty Nuggets and set aside some Anise Seed Cookies (which have just come out of the oven). Isn't it funny what things become special to us? I'm not a huge fan of walnuts in general, but these cookies bring back wonderful memories of afternoon teas with my grandparents in their Ashland sun room. One more Christmas away from my family... I hope they know how much I love and miss them this time of year.



Nutty Nuggets:

1 Cup butter
4 Tbsp sugar
1 Cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 Cups chopped walnuts
powdered sugar for rolling

Cream butter and sugar, add other ingredients. Chill dough. Roll into 1-inch (ish) balls. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. When cooled slightly, roll in powdered sugar. When completely cool, roll again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya, thanks for checking in--we love hearing from you.