Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day Trippin

So we finally have some time to explore this ol' county. Yesterday, I got out my England for Dummies book and we decided to go to Rye. Rye is a little town in East Sussex which used to be an island. Ya know, waaaaaaaay back. It was a major port of smuggling and defence, etc. Anyway, now it's a beautifully preserved little Tudor village.

We caught a train and a bus, and walked around the shops while Jesse tried to de-carsick. We stopped into this FABULOUS hat shop. I mean amazing. Hat sculpture pretty much. We looked around, then read their little brochure and found out that they're this famous big deal, and they only have this little store in Rye. They made the hats for lots of movies, stuff like that. Look at this stuff!










Sigh. Allison, these reminded me of you. Sorry for that loooong tangent. No, I didn't drop the 250 quid to buy one.

After a few more shops, we walked up the hill to St. Mary's church. Have you heard that song The Bells of St. Mary's? This is that St. Mary's. In the 13oos, some French guys (ghees?) ransacked the town and stole the bells, and the next year some men from Rye went to France and stole them right back. This was a beautiful place. We climbed the bell tower and saw some great views. And the bells, of course.


We also saw the Lamb House, a.k.a. Henry James' house.



It was freezing, and I don't have a hat, so Jesse bought me one. I love it!
We had lunch at the Mermaid Inn, a gorgeous old building which was rebuilt in the 1400s after the French burned down the city. On the walls were lots of autographed pictures of famous people who have stayed there. People like Johnny Depp, Pierce Brosnan, Dame Judy Dench, Michael Cane, Andy Garcia, and the Queen Mother. Just to name a few! We decided our table was probably where Johnny Depp tore a pheasant with the Queen Mother.

The only building which was not destroyed by the French in the Fire was the Ypres tower, which we visited last. Over the years, this castle has been a prison, a mortuary, and a defensive fortress. Now it's a museum. We got to see what life was like for those poor prisoners--


made a trip to the loo,

and played dress up.

I walked out and realized I was still wearing my damsel ribbons... Oops. I guess I still had hats on the brain.
After returning the ribbons, we made our way back home. A really nice date, I think.



4 comments:

  1. What a fun day! Those hats really are incredible. I'm realizing there's much more of an art to millinery than I had ever previously realized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for OUR date night, we went and saw the movie Tangled at the cheap theater. The cheap theater in Bountiful, Utah is actually really famous if you look it up in history books because it's been burned down and conquered by the... french and stuff over and over again. And THEN we had dinner at Chile's which is actually this place where really famous people go and the bricks of the building were... built by... gnomes. So anyway I'm just saying it sounds like your day was ALMOST as awesome as ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hats! Sometimes I wish women still wore hats regularly like they used to (and i'm not talking about beanies).

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for checking in--we love hearing from you.