Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Housing Woes

So Jesse and I are trying to work out our housing in Kent from afar. Our deary dear friends Sarah and Annie are also trying to do the same. And I need some advice. The university doesn't have much in the way of married housing, and to be honest, we'd all love to be in the same house (especially Jesse and I). We've all been roomies before and it's worked out wonderfully. So our options are to either get what we get and sign up for on-campus housing, or try to rent a flat/house from away over here in North America. There are more hang-ups, too. Jesse and my program will take us away from Kent for about 4 months, but Annie and Sarah's won't. So here's the conundrum: do we go ahead and rent something off-campus (which will probably be cheaper) and just hope we can fill our room for 4 months in the middle of the year, or do we opt for student housing, in which we'll be separated (possibly even Jesse and I)?

This is all a bit overwhelming, and I need some perspective, here. This is where you come in.

9 comments:

  1. Rent a flat off-campus. Because you shouldn't have to be separated during grad school. And because if we don't spend winter semester at BYU-Hawaii, Jacob and I will come live in Canterbury for those 4 months. And if we don't, Beckah would love to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gut says to let a flat (oh the Britishness of me!) off-campus, and spread the word to all our friends and family that there is a cheap, furnished, English room available for four months next year. Liz and Jacob, Beckah, and my mama have all expressed interest.

    Of course, there's an element of risk involved here. But something tells me it will turn out just fine.

    P.S. word verification: "gualiers."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I posted a reply! Where'd it go?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, I'm just approving comments before they're published now. Thank you for your input dudettes. I requested details about several of those places, and the ones that will be available for students all say that you have to pay a deposit, and a holding fee, and half rent for July and August, and then pick up your keys in September. Plus have a UK-based guarantor. Sounds complicated. I wonder if we could just move over there in July?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want you and Jesse to have to be separated... and honestly there will be a way to make it work, we just need to have faith!

    PS I love you!

    Why on earth are there soooo many fees! I wonder if we could get ahold of someone in the ward to help us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think calling the bishop would be a erally good idea at this point. Neil said we could make a few short phone calls over there from this phone, so I might just find a good time (in the UK) and call. Anything you guys want me to ask when I call?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe about the job scene. Basically any practical suggestions he has for new member students.

    It's hard to believe there aren't a bunch of off-campus flats in Canterbury that operate according to the academic year. ??? What's that about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I was able to log into the accommodations page under Jesse's name since he has been officially accepted. I found a whole section for community listings, and emailed a bunch of people. These places are all operating on the academic calendar. By the way, I went on Google maps and did street view--you can walk down the streets of Canterbury and Whitstable and stuff. Awesome. I'll let you know if anything comes of my diggings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathleeny! You're awesome, and I love you! I'm so excited that we are actually going to do this!!!!! And Annie I'm so excited you have finished all your application stuff!! =D

    I think when we do contact the Bishop we should also ask about employment opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Hiya, thanks for checking in--we love hearing from you.